Mould and Rental Properties – Who is Responsible?

Mould and Rental Properties – Who is Responsible?

Mould can be a problem in any property, both in winter but also humid summer weather. Mould has been associated with respiratory illness and can cause serious health problems.

It can grow indoors in wet or moist areas lacking adequate ventilation, including walls/ wallpaper, ceilings, bathroom tiles, carpets (especially those with jute backing), insulation material and wood and even on clothes. Things to help reduce mould are; opening windows, wipe off condensation, use exhaust fans, leave cupboard doors ajar, use moisture absorbing crystals, wipe over surfaces/walls/windows with a vinegar solution.

If moisture accumulates in a building, mould growth will often occur. Many different types of mould exist and all have the potential to cause health problems. Adequate ventilation is one of the minimum standards that properties must meet to be considered fit to live in.

Who is responsible depends on how the mould developed:

1. If mould developed from a build-up of moisture because the landlord failed to repair a defective window in a reasonable time, or the property didn’t have adequate ventilation – then the landlord is responsible and must fix the problem

2. If the mould developed during the tenancy because the tenants allowed a build-up of moisture by never opening any windows or not using ventilation fans in the bathroom – then the tenant may be responsible.

The ingoing inspection report is very important when documenting the condition of a property.

If you would any more details on this topic or any others please contact our Property Management Team.

📞 02 4295 1550
8/32 Addison Street, Shellharbour